Monday 8 September 2014

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.

Okay so first things first I didn't end up finishing this book like I said I probably wouldn't because it was awful. The plot was all over the place and there was never just a continuous plot throughout the whole book. It lacked in umph and didn't get me excited to read. I'm the type of person who liked to get into bed and chill with a nice book and every time I got into bed I just didn't want to pick it up and read it because I was so bored whilst reading it. Don't get me wrong not all of the book was bad, it had its moments where it got really exciting and I was really getting into it but then it just sorter dwindled and lost where it was going. It was like she had this massive idea laid out on how she wanted the book to be but then just lost it half way through. There were chapters upon chapters where she just rambled on about nothing that was relevant to the story and she would just do chapters that would fill space - it was like she started writing this book and she thought to herself "I can make it as long as I want and as boring as I want and people will want to read it", er no.

I mean I enjoy detailed books as much as the next person but what I don't enjoy is having to read every single characters backgrounds, I understand that it's character building and that's how you get to know a character but just tell me about the important characters and not just the minor ones who don't even really have a role in the book because let's be honest that's just a waste of paper. I was so determined that I would get through it and that I would finish it and that it would be my favourite book that I'd read but it was just so boring. There was nothing that was gripping to me and nothing that kept me on the edge of my seat.

So it's about a girl called Diana who is a historian and is also a witch who doesn't use her powers due to the fact that both her parents where killed whom again were a witch and a wizard and so from then on she refused to use them - one night in the library she takes out the book known as Ashmole 782 which is a manuscript that is supposed to have all the secrets about witches, about how deamons were created and vampires, and she unlocks the spell that is encrypted on this book but she doesn't know how, as soon as people get knowledge on the fact that she has unlocked it they all want the book, and they all want to get their hands on it and find out what it's all about for themselves, enter: Matthew, the strikingly handsome vampire who requires an interest in Diana and who also wants the book for himself. There is Peter Knox who is a not so nice wizard and liked to threaten her and tell her she needs to stay away from him cos he is nothing but bad news and blah blah, all the typical threats. And then the obvious happens, they become... Wait for it... Attracted to each other, oooo. Because that was not obvious in the slightest ey.

The characters were so dull, Diana was just a witch who liked to wow, go to yoga, go for meals and spend a lot of her time drinking wine - pages upon pages were just dedicated to all the different smells of wines and she would describe each and every smell to Matthew who was also a massive wine fan. Seriously didn't see the point in that, it was just your typica I'm a witch he's a vampire but I love him, but I can't have him. So if you have it on your to read pile, I would just throw it away because it's not even worth it.

All in all I rate this 0.5 out of 5.

Also I am currently reading if I should Die the last in the Revanants trilogy, so look out for that review next :)

No comments:

Post a Comment